The Department of Special Education and Student Services supports this mission by:
- complying with the provisions of IDEA of 1997(Individuals with Disabilities Education Act of 1997) and the IDEIA of 2004 (Individuals withDisabilities Improvement Act of 2004)
- appropriately identifying students with disabilities based on federal and state criteria
- providing high quality, specialized instructional programs utilizing supplemental materials and research based strategies
- facilitating a collaborative team among parents, staff, and students to build a positive learning environment
- promoting a strengths based approach to build on success
- supporting the development of knowledge and skills to prepare students to be college bound and/or career ready in the following areas: academics; social/emotional; behavioral; communication; fine and gross motor; organization; transition goals; and functional life skills.
The Falls Church School Board has authorized the Superintendent to hire a consultant to review FCCPS Special Education Services. JJC and Associates, LLC will be onsite next week beginning April 25th.
The Special Education Study will include:
- focus groups
- site visits
- IEP reviews
- a parent forum
Survey for Parents of Students with Disabilities
Parents of students with disabilities are invited to participate in a parent survey. Click the link below to begin the survey. Survey closes April 28th.
Forum for Parents
Wednesday, April 26th 5:00 p.m. - 7:00 p.m.
Mary Ellen Hendderson Cafetorium
All parents are invited to attend the community Parent Forum to provide feedback on FCCPS Special Education Services.